Sunday, March 17, 2013


Had to tweak my Action Research Plan a little.  Still focused on the Digital Divide but my main concern now is how has the registered device policy at my school affected classroom instruction?  Here is a list of my main inquiry and other questions branching off from that.

My main question is:
How has the policy of bringing your own devices impacted classroom instruction? From this inquiry I plan to address many other questions I have come across such as:
Are teachers even allowing them in class?  Some teachers in my school are still telling their students to put their devices away and they are not abiding by the new policy.
How many students have registered their device and what types of devices are they registering?   Based on this I will collect data on how many kids are registering periodically  during the year.
How many teachers are actually allowing them to use the devices?
Are we getting into the Digital Divide?  Are students being left behind who cannot afford these expensive devices such as smart phones and tablets?
What type of professional development does it take for teachers to feel comfortable with this new policy?  I believe that teachers have to be familiar with the use of this technology before they can begin effective implementation in the classroom.
What steps are we taking as a school taken towards professional development in this area?

3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    Your plan looks great. You are collecting a lot of data from a lot of different outlets.

    The only thing I would add is how are you going to present your findings? For instance, maybe, as you are collecting your data, put it in an Excel spreadsheet or a PowerPoint presentation. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love your questions, especially whether the teachers are allowing the devices in class and allowing students to use the devices. Those are important questions to consider when doing action research on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica but great job!!!

    ReplyDelete